Purpose


I was having a conversation with a friend this afternoon about finding one's calling. It got me thinking about purpose, livelihood, and how many feel they have never quite found their "purpose" per se. I was called rather early in life to step into a field I knew nothing about. When I began massage school I had never received a massage professionally or otherwise. And when this message came through loud and clear I never questioned the massage school at the end of the road I had just moved on. While I have spent quite a bit of time drifting between modalities, I am continually called back to that foundation as my means of connection to self and the world.

One piece of our conversation that sat with me was around the development of one's calling and how it arises. For me, the calling came long before the embodiment of said calling. It's only in the last few years, particularly because of my time in Jamaica, that I have truly begun to feel the power of what and how I am called to offer in this world. Even so, at this exact moment, I have an old tape playing in the back of my mind that questions everything I just said. The beauty of this now is I've learned to embody these gifts which allows me to tune into the resonance they create in my body. This resonance brings me back to my own unique truth and blueprint and pushes me toward action. My experiences with clients over the years have led to the deepest fascination of how we experience and express our body/mind connection. For example it was when my friend was called back into her body as things around her seemingly fell apart that she began to feel her innate gifts. It was from this place that she was called into action. Two interesting commonalities we each shared: we were called to live our purpose from a place of love and this embodiment allowed us to surrender to our unique gifts.

Giant question though; how does one find their calling? My friend shared a potent view that those things that come easily and often, flowing with little resistance, that you often don't even consider because it's 'just your nature,' pay close attention to these. It's often in these spaces that we experience embodiment and begin to ask: how might I use these gifts to create an impact in the world. I know that each of us is here with a unique and incredibly valuable contribution that resides only inside us; yet, often our particular set of circumstances guides how our story unravels and whether or not our gifts are valued and nurtured. Many of us have gone through a fragmentation of our true selves beginning at a young age and leading to an adaptation of our authentic selves. I know I've spent a good portion of my adult years reconnecting and nurturing the uber sensitive emotional parts that felt unsafe to express as a child. Through a holistic embodiment of our particular unique gifts we open ourselves to infinite potentiality and the possibility of stepping into the life, the world, the reality we've always believed is just beyond our reach. For me, it's these uber sensitive emotional parts that enable me to do the work I am called to do.

So, here's the thing, I usually have more questions than answers. I don't have a formula or manual on ways in which we can all step into our truths and given paths and live in symbiosis. I'm fairly certain the world thrives on the teetering balance of all of these things as they ebb and flow. But what I've learned in my own experience thus far is in spaces of intentional quiet, where I am able to drop into my body and my breath, surrendering to gravity and drawing out of the overactive mind, I hear the authenticity of my calling. When I am authentically embodied and attentive to breath, continually bringing myself back as the mind does it's wandering chatter dance, I find my deepest truths. At times I even find moments of clarity where the programs and patterns fall away and I witness my highest self in service to my highest calling. Often I find these moments manifest when I am practicing massage and sharing that calling with the world.

And so, I ask you this...
Finding a quiet and comfortable space to sit and reflect:
What makes your heart sing?
Where do you find the most ease in your experiencing of self?
How are you using these truths to manifest your imprint in the world?
This...my loves...is your calling. Therein lies your purpose. Please share it with the rest of us.
We need you.


Comments

Popular Posts