The Memory of Ritual

 I'm having a present day remembering. A calling back of the soul and self (with a small s) in a familiar and comforting way. We all know that the 'beginning' of a new year is an attempt to place linear boundaries on something that is quite non-linear. Nevertheless there is a sense each New Year's eve that we might just be on the precipice of something miraculous. Some shift, change, reawakening that might just turn the page once and for all on that old story, behavior, longing. What is standing out to me the most in my own energetic experience of this 2020 beginning is that I am now...at this stage of my game...not beginning anew but creating and manifesting from a magnificent foundation. The energetic stepping in to a brand new 365 days to create is still alive and well in my being but for the first time this lifetime I believe...it comes with this knowing of where I have been and a deep, soft integration of those pieces over the last ten years that pushed me to fill in all the cracks with light. That light led me right back to myself and all the ways in which I am already profoundly whole. 

Feeling good about this 2020 vision. I feel super clear and grounded. I was called to rise early this morning with a deep longing for the sea and the sun. Once upon a time this was a daily practice of mine. Rise before the sun, ride my bike to the beach, practice some Kundalini yoga...bare witness to the dawning of the new day...ride back home and begin. Over the course of my life I've had many iterations of morning ritual. I've found it to be the most sacred and impactful for my spirit and, when consistently observed, the most influential in my spiritual, emotional, and psychological flow. This morning on the first day of this new decade beginning with this year of 2020 I remembered the sanctity and power of this observation. 




After my quiet meditation and intention setting by the sea I was deeply called into ritual. I remembered all the ways through various stages of my life I have nurtured and cared for my well-being. Though everyone's ritual may look, feel, and create differently I would like to share my experience this morning and ways in which you might find a little time and space for yourself to love on and care for your own body, mind, and spirit. 

First and foremost I've come to my own power struggle with not picking up the phone first thing in the morning. It's a habit that I created a while ago and has definitely distracted me from being present with my own internal awakening each morning. When I pause and allow myself to tune in to my own inner stirrings first thing upon rising I find it to be a ritual in and of itself. Unraveling from the cocoon of sleep and dream softly and intentionally while tuning in to the frequencies that are drawing me into this new day without distraction allows me to reflect in these ways: 

*Where is my breath landing in my body as I become aware of it again? 

*Where am I attentive to the physical awakenings and sensations as they arise? 

*Can I stretch out that quiet space of not just and almost fully awakened mind? 

*I pause to offer infinite gratitude for the breath that has come again and all the possibilities that lie at the foot of this new day.


This morning, in particular, after sunrise I felt called to love on my physical body a bit with some self massage. I've recently come back to the States where it is definitely winter time which creates dryness in the skin, hair, and bones. As such, I've found oils to be of the most benefit to my skin to hydrate and feed me on a cellular level. I've been experimenting with a lot of carrier oils in my life and I've personally found coconut to be one of the most nurturing and nourishing for my skin. Recently I've started blending it with hemp oil and it's made quite a lovely combination for me. I am a huge fan of coconut oil for it's antibacterial and anti-fungal properties as well as it's ability to feed my cells in a particular way but I highly suggest trying out various oils to see what your skin resonates with most. Also seek out high quality oils made in small batches if possible direct from someone who is pressing themselves. I also love to work with essential oils and incorporated numerous doTerra oils in my ritual this morning. High quality essential oils are also key to these well-being practices and there are a lot of options out there. I really like doTerra oils but there are also a lot of smaller distillers out there who have incredible offerings so doing some exploring here to see what might exist locally is always a nice practice. 



Oils used for this morning's ritual: 

Dr. Bronner's Coconut oil
Green Hills Organics Hemp oil
doTerra: Peppermint, Vetiver, Cedarwood, Ylang-Ylang, Frankincense

Blend to your liking a mix or single carrier oil such as coconut, hemp, avocado, etc. Use enough oil to cover each leg and foot and use the oil(s) that feel the most nurturing for your skin. My preference is always subtle generosity with the carrier oils. I tend toward finding the right balance that will allow my skin to absorb without leaving an oily residue. 
Mix 2 drops cedarwood, 1 drop Vetiver, and 3 drops peppermint. After mixing oils together in hand coat each leg with the oil and then begin to massage from the hip down the quad and hamstring into the calf ending at the foot. I tend to have less circulation in my legs and feet so I found this blend to be stimulating with the peppermint while also grounding with the cedarwood and vetiver. I massaged each leg in this direction at least four or five passes with a lot of friction and fast movement at the soles of the feet to invite increased circulation and flow. 

I then mixed the same carrier oils in my hand blending 1 drop cedarwood and 2 ylang-ylang to massage my torso with special attention to my solar plexus (mid belly area above belly button) and heart (space between breasts) to stimulate energy and flow. For this section of self massage I followed the lines of my ribs drawing from the sternum (space between breasts) to the rib cage back and down the spine and then back up again from the low back/sacrum across the ribs back to the sternum. 

Lastly, I used a small amount of hemp oil with 2 drops of frankincense to massage my face, throat, and neck. I find frankincense to be a clarifying and majestic oil that responds particularly well to the upper chakras and my constitution. Here is a short self-massage tutorial I hope is helpful: 






This is just one of many ways I plan to re-introduce sacred self-care ritual into my daily rising. I also believe really deeply in honing one's own intuition so take all of what I offer as inspiration to find and create your own sacred pathways to connecting with self each day. 

Give thanks for reading and watching. Reach out with questions or comments as well as your own rituals and favorite practices. Happy New Year! Stay tuned for my next share. :)





Comments

Popular Posts